Ropsley is a beautiful village on the outskirts of Grantham. It has won the Best Kept Village award a number of times in recent years,
It is the location of the source of the River East Glen, or River Eden. There several disused quarries nearby, two of which are situated in the village itself
There are two village public houses: The Ropsley Fox and The Green Man.
Ropsley village hall has grounds which incorporate a basketball court, a football pitch and a cricket pitch. There is a golf course located on the outskirts of the village; it has 12 holes after undergoing extension. A running club based in Ropsley is called the Ropsley Road Runners. Ropsley Judo club is no longer active.
Ropsley was the birthplace of Richard Fox, the Tudor Bishop who funded the Grammar School at Grantham and Corpus Christi College at Oxford.
A 300 year old ring dam, 0.5 miles (0.8 km) south-east from the village and identified by a group of trees, was once used as a sheep wash; the blue brickwork of the sheep wash can still be seen. There are paths from the village, past the ring dam, to Little Humby.
The village has a lovely church which may even date back to Anglo-Saxon times.St Peter's Church Please see our link on the left of the page.
The first school in Ropsley built here in 1717, endowed by James Thompson It was rebuilt about 1805 after a fire. A Public Elementary School was built here in 1874, and enlarged in 1894. The 1894 enlargements, which increased pupil intake to 400, was deemed a great success for the village. Today the school teaches about 100 pupils.
Many walks in the Ropsley area go through traditional English woodland, including Ropsley Rise Woods and picnic area. There is a wide variety of wildlife in and around the Ropsley surrounding countryside.
Ropsley has four war memorials. One, with a smaller one next to it, is situated in the centre of the village and dedicated to First and Second World War servicemen. Two further memorials are inside St Peter's church: one commemorates War dead, the second, a stained glass window, is a memorial to Sgt Pilot of the Royal Air Force, William Philip Dales from Little Humby.
Each year, children from school participate in the Remembrance Day service. A parade, led by a piper, travels from St Peter's church to the memorial at the centre of the village for two minutes silence.